Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Update as a new summer begins

This evening my wife and I took a walk around the northern border of Stevens Creek County Park. The high fence between the park and the Gravel Pit is still very much there. Access to the lower gate is deliberately blocked by a pile of dry branches, and the higher gate (accessed from Villa Maria) is still firmly locked. From the Ridge Trail we could see two deer grazing in the valley. Looks like this no-mans land will remain wild for a good while to come.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At Wed May 23, 10:44:00 PM PDT, Blogger Miss Lizzy said...

Thank you for your blog. I played in this abandoned quarry in the mid 70s as a young child. I lived off upper Foothill Blvd and owned horses on two acres in the early 80s near Ricardo Road to aid me in my adventures. Now, expensive homes are built on these 2 acres atop years accumulated horse doo-doo. I used to find shed deer antlers in the quarry - a treasured gift from nature's finest. Later, in the very early 90s I'd mountain bike into and through the quarry cruising its many loopy trails. A couple years ago I tried to go back and found many chain link fences that prevented me from roaming without guilt. I also remember Buck Nord Stables occupied some of this area in the early 80s, but now all that exists are building foundations and such. These can be accessed from the reservoir side, though I may have been trespassing on this occasion as well. Good memories, thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home